Free Case Review
From Our Attorneys

Learn More About Illinois Personal Injury Law

Call or email us. It’s completely confidential.

Speak to a lawyer about your situation for free.

We give you advice and/or a lawyer referral.

Liquor Liability Laws in Illinois

We are Illinois lawyers, who since 2001, have been offering legal guidance and attorney referrals. Call our office at 312-346-5320 or 800-517-1614 to speak with an attorney for FREE and get pointed in the right direction. Or you can fill out our contact form to tell us about your situation and we will contact you. We can’t promise a result, but we do guarantee that we will be honest and treat you like a family member or friend.

Liquor Liability Laws in IllinoisThe following is an overview of the law on liquor liability when injuries occur. This page specifically discusses liability when alcohol is served to minors. If you have any questions or need an attorney referral please contact us.

What is the law in Illinois regarding liquor liability?

Illinois law prohibits adults from providing alcohol to minors. It also holds adults who provide alcohol to minors responsible for any harm that is caused as a result of the minor’s alcohol consumption.

What happens if someone gets hurt?

Example #1 – Parties

If a parent either provides or allows alcohol at a party and someone gets hurt, the parents are liable for the injuries that happen at their home. So, if there is a fight at the party and someone gets hurt, the ‘host parents’ who provided the alcohol will be on the hook.

Also, a parent who either provides or allows alcohol at a party is liable for injuries that occur after an impaired minor leaves their home. So, if an impaired minor leaves their home and gets into a fight on the street, the host parents will be on the hook.

Example #2 – Drunk Driving

If a minor child consumes alcohol at a house party where parents either provided the alcohol or allowed it and then gets behind the wheel and is injured, the host parents are on the hook.

The host parents can also be sued even if the minor child was not behind the wheel but was a passenger instead and was injured.

The host parents can even be sued by a third-party driver on the road or anyone else injured in the accident.

Example #3 – Other injuries

If a minor child was injured because of alcohol poisoning, which can result in serious injury and even death, at a party where parents allowed or provided alcohol, the host parents can be sued for personal injury or even wrongful death.

The host parents can also be charged with a misdemeanor or even a felony, if serious injury or death resulted.

Now what?

If your child has been injured because of alcohol consumption at a friend’s house, you may consider filing a lawsuit to cover, among other things, medical expenses and pain and suffering. Typically, payment will come from the host parents’ homeowners insurance.

You will want to consult with a personal injury attorney with vast experience in this area of law. Do not be concerned if you cannot afford an attorney. Personal injury attorneys typically work on a contingency basis, which means you only pay if you win. If you lose, your lawyer gets nothing.

Call us. We are free. We are confidential. We can point you to an experienced attorney in your area who will be the right fit for your case.